Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The end of a sportwriting era

This reporter would like to thank Butch Walker of the Dunlap Reporter and ‘Madam Publisher’ for the opportunity to test my skills on what Howard Cosell called they “toy department” of life. When I was sophomore in high school, I was assigned sports story, but I couldn’t write my way out of a paper bag, so my Journalism teacher let me draw cartoons.

I’m glad Butch is feeling better and gladly hand the reins back over to him, but I’ll miss having the best seat at a game- standing along the sidelines, up close to the action.

Former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren once said “I always turn to the sports section first. The sports page records people's accomplishments; the front page has nothing but man's failures.”

I’ve enjoyed getting to report on the accomplishments of this Bulldogs football team. I hope you enjoy reading about them. Thanks to them and Coach Petersen and Ernie Kline for their help with stats and quotes.

No comments: