Friday, April 28, 2006

Pretty in Pink

"Grace," acrylic on 16X20 canvas, 4/28/2006

I've always had some kind of block whenever I've tried drawing or painting anyone in my family. Maybe it's just performance anxiety, maybe they're so important to me that I don't want to hurt/offend/or disappoint them. Maybe it's that I know them too well and being so familiar with their features, I'm overly critical of myself when I don't get them exactly right.

Whatever the problem was I tried my best to work through it today because I wanted to give my oldest daughter something special for her birthday. I still may not be at a professional skill level as a painter, especially on the modeling, blending, and general finish- but I'm happy with the sense of unity/cohesiveness and balance of the color scheme, the general composition- but best of all I actually think I managed to capture her energy and personality. It's got joy and unpretentious friendliness to it- and that in a nutshell is Grace. Loving and fun.

I love her and I'm proud of her. I hope she likes this gift and that she won't hate it or be embarrassed by it when she's 14, 21, 28, 32 etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a very nice job! I'm sure Grace will be very proud of your work and treasure it always!
I can't believe she is 7 years old already! Time does fly!
~Leslie

Anonymous said...

I looked over your art pages. I am soooo impressed with everything. You are using your talent and that is good.
~Julie