Friday, December 12, 2008

What happened to Ted's Column;
An email exchange

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Mapleton Press wrote:

OMG you haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Oh Teddy I do miss you so much and so do our readers. I can honestly say I have had more positive feedback on your articles than negative and I have had several asking where you are. Please come back to us.

Thanks for the pics I will email Rita for ID. Also thanks for taking pics at the COU concert.

Also I am really sorry to her about Beth's brother... I know the pain it causes love ones. It leaves a tremendous about of questions to those left behind.

Love ya
Maddog


from Ted Mallory
to Mapleton Press
date Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM
subject Re: COU Christmas Concert


Thanks for all your encouragement. You're a sweetheart.

I still don't know what I'm going to do yet. Brad was right when he called me busy. Christmas & Basketball aren't helping.

And in the wake of Cory's suicide, my head's really in a bad place, so that makes it even harder. It certainly is a hell of a lot harder than losing someone to illness or old age.

Since you're such a good friend, and apparently an avid reader (definitely a major supporter) I'll tell you that it's not necessarily JoAnn's, it's more complicated than that and has a lot to do with how right-wingers were making my family members feel by talking about me.

Although, I will admit that I was getting a lot of hate email and negative blog comments from people other than JoAnn and it all compounded on 8 rejection letters in a row from syndicates for either columns or cartoons- so I was both sick of putting up with people's crap feeling sorry for myself.

So I still don't know where I'm at with it yet. I was just starting to get over it (grief/withdrawls/just taking a break from it/letting go of something that I'd let become too important to me- whatever you want to call it) when my mom had a scare with a spot on her lung (which turned out to be an infection, not cancer- thank God), then one of my Aunts was killed in a car accident, and most recently this Cory thing.

No promises, not even a clue as to whether or not and if so, when...
But huge thank yous for being so tenacious in your kindness, concern, and encouragement. You're the greatest.

Maybe I'll just have to make a point of sending you dumb email forwards or something.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Love,
"Teddy"

Once again, to all of you who have told me how much you used to enjoy the column or that you've missed it, and all of those who've tired to encourage me over the last couple of months- and especially all of you who've offered your prayers and comfort to either me or our family since Cory's death-

A HUGE thank you. May God return all of your kindness to you when you most need it.
His peace this season (Philippians 4:4-8)

1 comment:

Ted Mallory said...

Although, no one ever tells me that they miss the cartoons or tells me what a great cartoonist I am.

I'm going to assume that means either 1) you all think I'm a better writer or 2) you don't "get" most of my cartoons, which is okay, I know I'm weird.

Either way is fine, editorial cartooning is more impossible to break into than writing anyway. Even if I were amazingly great there wouldn't be much hope of getting anywhere with it.