Monday, August 21, 2006

still trying to let go

You're not supposed to blog about your job or your boss if you don't want it to come back to bite you, but this Dilbert really shows how I felt last week. They gave a new teacher a class that basically covered stuff I already teach in two other classes. Between all the hours of planning & preparation I'd put into both of them and that I really have my sense of self tied up with one of them it was a blow. I had to tell myself not to take it personally, because it was no doubt, just an inadvertent omission or error (oversight) on the part of the administration- but with the onset of a nasty summer head cold and the typical adjustment from summer to school-year- it was blown all out of proportion in my psyche. One student correctly assesesd that I was jealous. In so far as I was territorial about my areas of expertise, you're dang right I was jealous. But I wasn't angry with the new colleague- only frustrated to no end with the inadvertent omission on the part of the administration!

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case, Scott Adam's cartoon does a better job of expressing my feelings than the above hyperanalytical, clinical explaination. But hopefully it's dry enough to not get me into any trouble with my current or future.potential employers.

Anyway, I THINK that I'm over it. Almost.

No comments: