Saturday, May 09, 2009

Book Report

Heartland Heartland by Mort Sahl

My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
Never judge a book by its cover was never so true. With the Reaganesque cowboy, I figured that this was going to be a western novel which seemed out of character for a San Fransisco beat generation night club comedian.

Duh, turns out it's a memoir of his rise and fall from fame. I think the horseman has something to do with how he was talking with Steve McQueen and James Gardner about Hollywood on McQueen's Texas ranch.

Weird how somebody who wrote jokes for JFK and got blacklisted for helping Jim Garrison scrutinize the Warren Report also supported Alexander Haig's bid for the Presidency. He made fun or Reagan, yet was considered a friend of the Reagans.

Sahl's always been a hero of mine and I just about wore out my parent's copy of his album recorded live at the Hungry i. His book is showing me just how complex and multifaceted he really is.

View all my reviews.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: