Saturday, October 09, 2010

Hardball

HardballHardball by Sara Paretsky

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Dang this Partesky's good.
Slow in the start. Hard for me to find time to read now that school's been so busy. But once I finally got into it it was absolutely worth it. History, civil rights, racial tensions, political intrigue, Chicago isn't just a back drop- it's practically a character. Best of all this is not just another crime thriller, it's a genuine mystery. It's layered, complicated (but not so complicated that you can't follow it) nuanced, and not just another procedural detective novel, but a book about family, character, values, loyalty, and right and wrong.

V.I. is funny and sarcastic like Robert Parker's Spenser or Evonavich's Plum, Tough as nails and smart like James Patterson's Alex Cross, and feminine and vulnerable as J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady.

I haven't read any of the other books in this series, but this book stands alone. It's a perfect storm of a novel, not just a detective novel. Loved it.



View all my reviews

No comments: