Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hey Shadow Mountain Matadors!

Glad you guys like'd that little trip down memory lane
  • I saw Star Wars at Cine Capri (stood in line in 100° for it too) Town & Country was my favorite shopping center- especially the Tang's Imports and Ed Debevic's was the greatest- especially cheese fries
  • I saw First National of Arizona become First Interstate become Wells Fargo- my brother & I both worked at that Bashas'. Anyone remember the Pizza place that was there that showed Laural & Hardy shorts and the servers wore straw hats (like a Farrelll's)? And what about Shea Plaza Cinema- $1.50 all seats/all times except for 50¢ Midnight Movies? We saw Raiders of the Lost Ark there every night for like two weeks one summer.
  • I LOVED Thrifty's cylindrical ice cream scoops, really took the edge off summer.
  • Remember when the Home Depot on Cave Creek and Thunderbird was a Woolworth's Woolco? Or when the SubWay was the Submarine Factory?
  • Definitely had a birthday on the Ronald McDonald train
  • SO miss Uncle Sam's Pizza, that was a Friday night before or after the game ritual
  • Anybody else remember having to cycle through cruising Central Ave. with cruising Metrocenter because there was some law about passing the same point more than three times in an hour? Remember when Castles and Coasters was called Golf & Stuff?
  • Anybody else see the Beach Boys on the 4th of July at Giant's Stadium? Remember the Booster Rooster at Phoenix Giants games?
  • Who was at Shadow Mountain when someone had won the call in contest to KZZP and got "Tiffany" to put on a concert from Senior Square?
  • How about that night when KISS, Boston and Chicago all had concerts in the valley on the same night, and some people actually tried to go to all three?
  • Did any of YOU guys ever listen to the Red Radio Show on kUpd?
Remember everybody, no matter where you are, Feb 14th isn't about Valentines, it's about being a "Zonie," From the Arid-Zona. Be sure to celebrate Arizona Statehood Day! Have a Margaritta and a Chimi!

And special thanks to Wendy Lane who takes care of our SHMS Yahoo Group and the Alumni website at http://www.shadowmountainalumni.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ted,
The pizza place was Straw Hat Pizza.

Anonymous said...

I used to listen to Dave Pratt when he "rocked naked" on the midnight
show. That was before he had to don his red underwear and tame it down
for the morning crowd. I also had to talk my friend's mother into going
to Dave Pratt concerts, not because I wasn't allowed to go to concerts
alone, but because my mother liked to go and needed someone her own age to
hang out with. I still have all the red vinyl albums that he released.

I saw the Beach Boys play at the state fair. I also saw Stevie Ray Vaughn
play the state fair.

I remember when Shea Plaza Cinema was 99 cents. There was one day a week,
(I think it was Wednesdays) when they had buy one ticket, get the second
for a penny.

And I remember having to hang out inside Golf-n-Stuff so we wouldn't
circle Metro too many times, and it was too early to hit Central. We
didn't want to get to Central when you could actually drive, you had to
wait until the street was a parking lot. And, you had to choose your
parking lots on Central based on Ford, Chevy, or rice-burner.

Anonymous said...

It was Wednesdays! grease opened there!

Anonymous said...

We had French exchange students we tried to teach them “squirt me baby” from kupd red radio lol they walked around telling girls to “squirt my baby”

Anonymous said...

WOW that was amazing Ted, anyone remember the game room behind Uncle Sams?

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Brenda - when I read the post about cruising Central, I thought of you! You
were the only one I cruised Central with...

I'm just loving these posts...down to the shape of the scoop at TG&Y's. You guys have way
better memories than me...

Anonymous said...

what about hte game room just N. of Sweetwater called Uncle Johns

Anonymous said...

Hey all you zonies! I will remember my roots on Thursday. Thanks for all those memories!
Growing up "Arizona" was pretty nice. But it sure has changed.
How can any of you still live down there? We visited my folks in December and I was aghast at all the traffic, all the sprawl, all the people!!! Is Phoenix still a good place to raise kids? (We have plenty of room up here in Alaska...and good air!)

Anonymous said...

WOW I forgot about Straw Hat Pizza