Tuesday, April 26, 2011

MarxhausenTribute

MarxhausenTribute by Mal Dog
MarxhausenTribute, a photo by Mal Dog on Flickr.
Artist and professor Reinhold Marxhausen used to tell his students that they were tools in God's hands, and he'd ask them "How has God used you today?" If an artist has a good tool, he uses it a lot, to the point the tool becomes well-worn and very familiar. A tool is not made to just sit in a toolbox, ready to work, but not being used.
~Josh Duncan, marxhausen.blogspot.com

One of my favorite Art professors, mentors, and inspirations. He passed away this weekend, after living with Alzheimer's since 1994.

Our loss is Heaven's gain.

No one will ever be able to be as creative, light-hearted, and out-of-the-box as he was, but I keep his picture on my desk at school to remind me that my job is to help kids see the world in new ways.

Here's a story about him in the Lincoln, NE paper

No comments: