Thursday, July 22, 2004

It’s not FAIR that it’s over

The weather on Sunday and Monday of Achievement Days was typically sweltering, but Tuesday and Wednesday we absolutely beautiful. We’re really fortunate in Charter Oak to have the Achievement Days. I enjoy them a lot more than any County Fair, and I’ll tell you why.

They’re a lot cheaper, they don’t smell near as bad, you know almost everybody there, and you don’t have a heart attack if you lose track of your kids for a few minutes- what’s more, it’s harder to lose your kids in the first place- or for them to lose you for that matter.

If you happened to miss the Achievement Days, July 11-14, you might not have heard Dan Kuhlmann announce at the livestock show that the Charter Oak Boosters is the largest 4-H group in Crawford County. And the Ute Explorers are the biggest in Monona County.
According to the law of averages, therefore, you probably saw projects and livestock that will be winning ribbons in Onawa and Denison soon, and no doubt on to Des Moines for the State Fair too!

Don’t quote me on this, but I believe someone told me that 2004 was the 57th year for the Charter Oak Achievement Days.
Ron Welner told me that 2004 was the 50th anniversary of the building used by the Methodist Church for their annual food stand. How about that? Come to think of it, looking up at the canvas roof, I was kind of reminded of the Korean War era hospital tents on M*A*S*H.

Imagine, every year they fold the thing up and store it in the old garage behind the Church. After this year, of course it will be retired since the Methodists will be able to borrow a portion of the much anticipated new shelter house.

I realize that the shelter house hasn’t been without it’s share of controversy- which you notice I’ve deliberately steered clear of in this column. Ya never like to lose trees, but rumor has it the ones that came down proved to be pretty sick after all. Between our park and the arboretum across the highway, we still put many another town to shame as trees go. And it will sure be nice to enjoy 4H exhibits in air conditioned comfort next year.

All I know is, those Methodists always have some wonderful pie and everyone who volunteers at the food stand is friendly and cheerful- you can’t always say that about the service at some county and state fairs. I for one really appreciate their dedication.

And we’re incredibly lucky to enjoy the Alumni BBQ and the Clubettes’ fishing pond (box), and the popcorn, cotton candy, root beer floats, games, face painting, auction and Bingo games too! I hope that as a community, we know how lucky we are and appreciate all the hard work that so many volunteers put in.
I don’t know of many towns as small as Charter Oak that have as nice a children’s playground as we do. Not to mention our pool, tennis courts and phenomenal Softball team!

Maybe I wasn’t in there long enough or was there when it was relatively cool, but I swear our livestock “barns” smell a helluva lot better than any I’ve been in at county and state fairs.
Of course live stock is gonna be fun with my girls.

“Hi big cows! Hi big cows” my two year old, Ellie waved to all the cattle as we walked through the stalls. She’s so friendly.
But I’m a little worried about her older sister Grace’s tastes and sense of aesthetics. As she crouched down to look at one hog through the fence, she mused “Oooh, he’s so CUTE! He Beuootiful!”

No comments: