Friday, February 04, 2005


Digital Image created in photoshop, 2004
Artist Statement:
My Senior Show at Concordia was entitled “Buffalo Wings.” A buffalo with wings might be lot like a bull in a china shop.
What do these heavy metaphors have to do with me and my work? I hope it is boldness. The American bison is such stank of a beast that in some ways it looks and moves clumsily, but has something that no other animal has quite as much of- momentum. You know when and where a buffalo roams. They make an impact. You may not think they’re just as pretty as a dear, but by God, nothing stops ‘em!
So why is it so hard to imagine one in flight? Why should only light, dainty things gets chance to wander through the heavens? Let ma tell you, if buffaloes could fly, no one would dare tell them where they could or couldn’t do it. So maybe I’m slow, maybe I’m stubborn, maybe I’m too bold.
I am a firm believer in democratic art, democratic art is the kind of Art in which anyone can partake, whether your style is likes gossamer wing or like a chicken wing smothered in hot sauce with a side of blue cheese dressing and celery. Whether you have momentum or know-how or nothin’. Your Art may not “fly in Peoria,” it just may require a leap of faith, but even if it looks like it’s only free-fall, for a fleeting second we all can fly.
I am like the grazing buffalo on the plains. You may, like sharp shooters, take aim and bring me to extinction. Or, you may glance for a moment and return to your business like settlers riding west on the trains. You may even spend a few moments thinking of me as an awkwardly bold and primitive curiosity as perhaps the pioneers did.
You may very well glean something of value like the Native Americans, who characterized the Great Spirit as a snow-white buffalo that guided his herds to fertile prairies.
I hope, if nothing else, you come to know where I have roamed.

Mallory

1 comment:

Katerina said...

Nice, interesting Blog!
Thanx, keep posting :)