Monday, March 03, 2008

Powerful design


Shepard Fairey is this phenomenal young graphic designer. His recent work includes the movie posters for the Johnny Cash bio pic "Walk the line" and the album cover for the Led Zeppelin greatest hit's box set. His poster for Barack Obama (left) has stirred up a lot of controversy because Fairly bases his style on old Soviet propaganda. He even named his company "Obey," conjuring images of George Orwell's 1984. Creepy, but you can't get away from how cool it looks and how captivating it is. I guess propaganda is supposed to do just that. Anyway, I love his design, although it will certainly be scary if it becomes as much of a cult classic as say the Che Rivera tee-shirt. I couldn't keep my hands off of it, so on the right, you'll see one that I played with. I don't know that I softened it up or not, but I'd love to see what pop artists Andy Warhol and Peter Max would do with Obama. (But I'm pretty sure Obama is a friend of Bill Clinton's).

No comments: