Friday, March 14, 2008

Shhhhh!

The other night I was reading a book I’d checked out of the library and I glanced at the little card in the front where the librarian stamps it. The book was published in 1990 but I was only the tenth person to check it out. The last time someone borrowed it from the library was two years before me.

Part of me felt bad that so few people seem to read in our area. Then I banished that thought with the reality that there must be a few thousand books in the library to choose from, so it’s no surprise that the book had only been checked out once every two years in the last eighteen years.

Then I felt bad that who ever does the book buying for the library would’ve picked out such an unpopular book that obviously doesn’t appeal to many people in our area.

Then it dawned on me that maybe I just happen to have pretty dang idiosyncratic tastes in books and there must be something wrong with me. Then I went back to reading my library book.

No comments: