Thursday, April 10, 2008

Letter to the Editor

To the editor:

By the end of this month, Representative Clarence Hoffman (my father) will retire after 10 years of service to Iowa and the people of District 55. As his son, I admit that my opinion is biased; yet, I hope that this brief story of the events of April 9, which I was able to witness, will prove meaningful and maybe even inspirational to the readers of your paper.

First, let me provide a little context. The day began with nearly 4 hours of debate over the local options sales tax bill. Ten years ago, Clarence was one of three Republicans to break with his party to pass this legislation and on April 9, he again broke with his party to renew the bill for the next 20 years. In addition to granting needed property tax relief, the bill provides for the continuation (not addition) of one penny of sales tax for schools. The proceeds of this tax from across Iowa are pooled and then distributed to schools equally on a per student basis. What that means is that Iowa’s retail centers do not get to keep all the tax revenue for their local schools; it means that more dollars come into rural community schools to make sure that every child in the state of Iowa has an equal opportunity to get the best education…an Iowa education. Passing the bill was a victory for rural Iowa, but it came at the price of unusually harsh criticism directed toward Representative Hoffman from party leadership.

Directly following the passage of this bill, Representative Hoffman was invited to give his farewell speech to the members of the House. Some in the Republican leadership were so angry that they left the room; they missed a rare moment. Clarence went around the room thanking Republicans and Democrats by name for their various forms of support and friendship over the years, and he called them to continue to trust one another being Iowans first, Republicans and Democrats second. He even thanked, by name, the very members of party leadership who had moments earlier so harshly criticized him for breaking with the party line.

When Representative Hoffman finished, he received a long, sustained standing ovation. Moments later, a line stretched half way across the house chamber with members of both parties waiting to say thank you and farewell. I spoke with more representatives than and I can remember and several, members of both parties, noted that Clarence’s had been the longest ovation they had witnessed in as many as 12 years in the House.

Am I proud of my dad? You better believe it. But in that moment, I was also overwhelmed with pride to be an Iowan and an American. I’ll admit that I have often been tempted to give up on the partisan, cut-throat politics of winners and losers that so often characterizes our system of government. However, on April 9, I saw a rare moment of reward and recognition for a man who has endured working in the crossfire of politicians far on the right and on the left in order to create a better Iowa, and I will forever be changed for the better because of it.

Sincerely,
John Hoffman


I went to college with John and his brother Louis. We consider Clarence and Lynn dear family friends. They were an important part of our church and the community back when they lived in Charter Oak. Obviously we're going to have some political differences, but it has always been my experience that unlike many of his colleagues (in both parties) Clarence has always striven to serve with both intelligence and integrity. So this standing ovation was well deserved. I told John that I just wish that his Dad would run for Congress and unseat his party's embarrassing Steve King. But you can't always get what you want.


The Hoffmans have lots of reason to be proud of Clarence and I would like to recognize him and thank him for his selfless and charactered service to Western Iowa. There's a reason he's run unopposed for so many years, and it's not because the Dems can't field a candidate, nor is it because the district is just so overwhelmingly Republican - it's because people know Clarence and trust Clarence.


That's why when John asked me for the email addresses of some of the local newspaper editors around here, I asked him if it would be alright to post this to my blog as well. Of course I don't know how much Clarence will appreciate me posting it just above where I accused a bunch of Republicans of being war criminals, but hey, that's the joy of friendships in small towns- you let some things go and overlook others because it's what's in their hearts that truly matters.



Thank you for being such a great example Clarence.

"Well done, good and faithful servant" ~Matthew 25:23


No comments: