Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hall Duty

Crazy mornings are the best. 
Stress helps you think better; 
lethargy and apathy aren't options
You just get going and keep going

The wind howled all night long
the storm windows rattled
not that I sleep well when my wife is gone anyway.
My alarm didn't go off.

I woke up more than an hour later than usual
I scrambled to get ready
pack lunches for the kids
roust them out of bed to get them going.

I didn't get breakfast
didn't make coffee
reminded everyone to dress warm
and what work to get done when they get home

The car stalled at the corner
I noticed it was low on gas
it stalled again as I pulled up to the pump
I went inside to pay and grab some coffee

I grabbed an egg sandwich and a bottle of gas-line antifreeze
I hurriedly paid for it all
and slammed into the door with the sign that said
please use other door

About a third of the way to school
my cell phone rang
I looked forward to talking to my love
but instead heard my middle daughter in hysterics

Something about snow pants
the wrong snow pants
little sister not listening
put your sister on

listen carefully,
wear the ones in your bag
let your big sister wear the other ones
Ok? Ok. Love you Daddy, love you too

Back to the middle girl
still hysterical
But they don't fit either
and I can't find mine!

I'm already a half hour behind
I'll get to school late
and I have hall duty
I wish I could help you

Can you just calm down
it will be okay
it's just one day
stay inside

And whatever you do,
don't call Grandma
This is not that big a deal
breathe, Honey, just breathe

My cell rings again
this time it is my wife
Excited about your conference?
I hope it goes well

I love to hear her voice
It almost makes it worth missing her
Just call to say good morning?
No, one of the kids called, what's been going on?

Nothing
No big deal
We got it handled
Everything's okay

I run into school
and head out to the hall
ten minutes later
than I'm sure my principal would've liked

Hall Duty can be tedious
standing in one place
for a half an hour
keeping students from loitering before the bell rings

It's a slow morning
not so many kids
probably all late
because of the cold

I visit with a a few
congenial and calm
playing the role of the
steady and positive adult influence

I read my book of poetry
and look out down the hall
past the lunch room, through the windows out front
and see that the snow has started to fly

No comments: