Thursday, January 03, 2008

Results from Crawford County Precinct 8

First, I'll give you the bottom line-
Charter Oak had 49 attendees, 8 Delegates to our county convention March 15.
15% for viability meant that each candidate needed at least 7 supporters to get a delegate;

Clinton 3
Edwards 3
Obama 2

Incidentally, Ricketts used the room next to us, this dinky little town of MAYBE 80 people had like 19 people caucus- good for them!
Both of their 2 delegates went to Edwards

I get in there like just barely at 6:59, but there were two or three people behind me. I'm immediately assaulted by this sweet little old lady with a beehive hairdo and a Hillary sticker trying to make sure I'm for Hill- "uh, no, sorry," I say as I take off my parka to reveal my 60's Hippy vest with like a million different campaign buttons on it (the "Re-Elect Gore" one is my favorite.)

Not too much later Precinct Chair (and County Assessor) Denise Meeves volunteers me for Caucus Secretary again. Good thing I turned down the Richardson Precinct Captain job- I'd hate for there to be a conflict of interest. Obviously Denise does not remember my handwriting from the 2004 Election cycle.

Se we get in our groups-
All the Clinton people are up against the right side of the room, well stocked with food and yard signs like the moneyed machine they are. Pretty much the same people who were all for Kerry last time. They just want to win, they're winners (sort of, they are Democrats after all) How I loath winners.

And all the Edwards people are in the middle of the room. How'd that happen, I thought he was the progressive guy, not the moderate guy.

Then all the Obama people are over on the left side of the room, half of them standing.

What's this? Where are all the Richardson people? I thought he was running 4th? Oh great, this is going to be like last time when I was the only Dean person in a room full of Kerry and Edwards people. Or like 2000 when I voted for Bill Bradley. Or like 88, when I voted for Paul Simon in the primaries in Arizona, Remember the guy with the bow tie? No of course not, you're too young. Why am I such a loser? Why can't I be a winner? Because Hillary is a Republican, that's why! Oh, oh yeah.

So anyway, there were 2 people for Biden, one undecided, and me. It really doesn't matter where we realign, it won't change the number of delegates...
But I threw in with the Obama camp anyway and I'll tell you why. I love John Edwards, I love what he's campaigning on and what he stands for, I even love how damn angry and indignant the guy is- hell I'm angry and indignant. But the Edwards supporters didn't bash on Bush, or brag about what Edwards wants to do, they just bad mouthed Hillary a tiny bit and went on and on about how un-electable (translates to "Black?") and inexperienced Obama is. And then the Obama precinct captain said something that really flipped all the circuits in my brain and heart- she said "I've always thought that Obama-Richardson is my dream team."

So of course, I probably jinxed Obama.
Or maybe not...

Sioux City TV is now reporting
Obama 36%
Clinton & Edwards each 30%
Richardson 2%

and on the GOP side
Huckabee 34%
Romney 25%
McCain 15%
Thompson 14%
Ron Paul 10%

That's with 89% of precincts reporting at 9 PM CST.

Go O!
O as in hOpe
O as in Oprah!
O as in Oh my.

--
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Boyer Valley Community Schools,
Challenging all students to meet their full potential
http://www.boyer-valley.k12.ia.us

Ted's Column & Cartoons in the Mapleton PRESS
http://tedscolumn.blogspot.com

JUST Cartoons
http://tedstoons.blogspot.com

Art, photos, graphic design and more
http://tmal.multiply.com

No comments: