Monday, October 11, 2004


Here is a portrait that Mexican surrealist Frida Kahlo (1907-1954) painted as a gift to her surgeon. I'm teaching my junior high art class about Frida this week. She had polio and was in at least two near-fatal car accidents that left her unable to have children as well as in constant pain. Add to that that her husband, Mexico's most famous painter, Diego Rivera was always cheating on her. Notice that her palatte is her heart. Surrealism is when artists paint what is beyond reality- feelings, fantacies, nightmares, or the supernatural realm. Kahlo is famous for painting self portraits that expressed her physical and emotional pain. She once said, "I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.
My painting carries with it the message of pain."
P.S. October is Hispanic Heritage Month.
Posted by Hello

No comments: