Thursday, October 28, 2004

Why don’t you ever write?

Why don’t you ever write?
by Ted Mallory Charter Oak-Ute NEWSpaper Thursday, October 28, 2004

"Do you ever get nasty phone calls about stuff you write in the paper?” asked a friend from Ute the other day. I guess I thought that they were worried about me. Only later, when we were leaving school and getting into our cars did I notice the “W” sticker prominently displayed on their bumper. Maybe it wasn’t worry, maybe it was a hint.

Actually no one’s ever called. What I want to have happen is for readers to write letters to the editor. Since I’ve been writing this column, that’s only happened once. They did a very good job too, and I agreed with what they wrote, even though they were motivated to write it because their disagreed with me.

A few times people have written in “A Note of Thanks” to the paper for something they linked. And a couple of times I’ve received notes or letters directly, that were positive. Thank you, by the way, those always mean a lot to me.
Last year, one of my Journalism students, an Eagle Scout, wrote a letter to another newspaper. His opinion was that he thought that the city employees in his town should have a dress code, so that they’d look more professional.

Some one was so frustrated by what he wrote that they sent him anonymous hate mail, and crank called him. It turned out to be an adult. There was even some suspicion that it was his former Scout Master! Yikes.

I WANT you to write to the NEWSpaper. Even if its in response to or in disagreement with me. There are three reasons that I want you to write. One is for feedback to this column.

Another is because we don’t know how lucky we are to even HAVE a newspaper. Are you kidding me? Two towns as small as ours? If you appreciate having our own paper, please contribute your news, stories, letters, opinions, photographs, anything you can think of. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lyon Publishing would even welcome book and movie reviews, recopies, memories and even poems!

Finally, I want to encourage you to write the paper because it is your First Amendment right! Lets make the NEWSpaper our “forum,” a public meeting place for open discussion, debate and expression of ideas.

A newspaper is a grown-up, sane, civilized, respectable, and fun way to discuss and debate. Crank phone calls, anonymous hate letters, bricks through windows, toilet-papered trees, and burning crosses on lawns are decidedly NOT fun or civilized, let alone grown-up.

My goal is not to indoctrinate or to win arguments. My goal in this column is to make you think. If I make you laugh or touch you somehow- bonus. If I do manage to persuade you to my point of view, double bonus.

Ah, but if I help you understand different points of view while solidifying your own opinion-even if it’s the complete opposite of mine- that’s bonus too. That’s the role of a free press and of a public forum.

You can drop your letters off in the Ute office, or mail them to Lyon Publishing in Mapleton. You can email them to their office at mpress@longlines.com. Or you can send it to me at coachmallory@hotmail.com.

You could use a letter-to-the-editor to explain something, to try to persuade people to do something, to warn readers of the consequences of some action or inaction, to criticize something, to propose a new idea, or to praise something or someone. I call that an Oprah-torial, when you call attention to unsung heroes or promote books or products that have really impressed you. Here are some tips on writing letters-to-the-Editor:

· Keep it short and on one subject. Under 300 words is best. I know, I know, this is a case of “do as I say, not as I do”

· If it’s to a paper other than this one, try to make it related to something that appeared the newspaper. While some papers print general commentary, many will only print letters that refer to a specific article.

· Be careful to avoid libel, that’s when you deliberately write something that’s not true in order to hurt someone’s reputation. One good way is to deal with issues, policies or actions, rather than dealing with personalities. Another is to be sure you’ve got your facts straight.

· Offer a solution, an alternative, a course of action. Don’t just complain. Teddy Roosevelt called people who did that “Muckruckers.” Ever rake manure after it had started to dry? You made it start stinking again didn’t ya? That’s muck-rucking.

· Try this simple outline. Three paragraphs; An introduction that points out the problem and your position, A main body that provides facts and sound reasoning that supports your position, and finally a conclusion that restates your opinion and urges the reader to take action.

Please write soon and write often. We look forward to hearing you. And while you’re at it, don’t forget to vote Tuesday- even if it’s because you want to try to cancel out my vote! Not only is it your right, it’s your duty! What’s more, if you don’t vote, then you won’t deserve to complain.

No comments: