Thursday, July 15, 2010

I'm so sorry

You're dealing with so much
I feel afraid to offer any commentary
because I don't want to risk
offending you
or say anything
that will compound your pain

I want to say things
to heal
or help

but I know
nothing can
and I don't want
anything that could be beneficial eventually
to be trivial or superficial or even insulting
because it comes at the wrong time.

I've been here before
in the line
at the viewing
or the luncheon
after the entombment
not knowing what to say
or how to say it
not wanting to put you through this
not even sure
how much eye contact
to make.

But I've been someplace
like where you are now
I know not the same place
but someplace cold
isolated
on display
in front of
what seems like
a never ending
stream of well wishers
yet so alone
aching
aching
aching
so that you just want
to be left alone
but under sedation
put into a coma
so that you
don't have
to deal with it
anymore

I'm sorry
so sorry
not only for your loss
but because
I have no idea
what to say
or how to say it

I'm here
if you want me
but I won't be
if you don't
I just wish
I could tell which
because
it doesn't see fair
to ask you
to have to tell me
one way or another

I'm so sorry

No comments: