Tuesday, July 06, 2010

POEM: Pardon Me

Pardon me
if I wear my brain
on the
OUTSIDE
of my head

It's just so sunny out,
but not too sunny,
not so sunny that it should get burnt,
just sunny enough to
take in some Vitamin D,
and to warm up
and not feel quite so clammy
or boxed-up

There's a little breeze,
but not too breezy,
not so much that it would
dry out
or fall out
and blow away,
down the street
like someone's hat,
or a kerchief of a boa,
snaking along the surface of the asphalt
like drifts of snow tend to do
in winter

I hope you don't mind

if I wear my brain
on the
outside
of my head

It makes some people feel
uncomfortable
I don't mean to use poor manners

Don't look at it
if it makes you queasy
sometimes it gets so needy
I just have to let it out so it can stretch
and breath
and unwind
a bit

Oh, no
I promise it won't unwind entirely
like an intestine
I like to keep it all together anyway

If it were to fall apart it would be
in gossamer synaptic strands
that will take to the sky like a tiny spider on a single strand of web
not all wormy or gummy or
sausage-casing-ish
like my entrails would
if I were to
spill my guts out

Would it be alright
if I wore my brain
on the
outside
for just a while?

Don't worry,
it doesn't bite
and it doesn't have any thing too catchy

If anything,
I'd appreciate
your being gentle
and careful
and kind
around me
if I don my mind
like a wig
or a fedora
outside
of my head-

You see,
it's quite fragile
and delicate

I know it may seem
offensive to you
but it's far more vulnerable to you
than I bet
you are
to it.

Pardon me
if I wear my brain
on the
outside
of my head

It will probably climb up
out there
whether I take it out or not
It's very needy, 
I guess

Without it sitting above
my hair
I sometimes don't feel
completely dressed

You don't think
I'll be arrested
if I wear my brain
on the
OUTSIDE
of my head?

No comments: