Monday, June 18, 2007

Arizona Artists

As long as I'm on this Southwestern kick for a while, I'll show you some of my favorite Arizona painters. When I was a kid, I loved to visit the galleries in and around old town Scottsdale. If you ever get the chance, their Thursday night Art Walk makes a great date.
Ette "Ted" DeGrazia was the toast of the territory when I was a young pup. Part Mexican, part Native American, part tourist trap. His little native kids are just "too cute" enough to land him in the kitsch categorie along with Hummel and Precious Moments figurines. But he's pure Sonoran Desert kitsch, so it's okay.

Of course, there's always Bob McCall, NASA's official artist laurette. He also did the matte paintings for Stanley Kubrick's 1969 film of Arthur C. Clarke's "2001; A Space Odessey."

And of course R.C. Gorman is one of the most celebrated Navajo artists of all time. Beautiful, poetic stuff.

No comments: