Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Book Review




Wow. When I finished my first two summer novels, I wanted something current. I thought about the Asault on Reason by Al Gore, but I was afraid it might be too technical (dry) or too partisan (not that he doesn't deserve to be angry since HE was elected President, not Bush Jr.) Then I spied this one. I was going to give it to my dad for Father's Day. He'd read a couple of other books by or about Iacoca, he's from Michigan, so I figured he liked it. Well two things happened on my drive down to Phoenix to see my folks, I spilled coffe on it in the van (a Dodge Caravan, ironically), and I got HOOKED.


John McCain and Fred Thompson may TALK about "straight talk" but Iococa REALLY gives it to you. From the hip, point blank, no minced words.I anticipated that he's be balanced and objective- he's been close friends with right wingers like Reagan, Bush Sr., and Bob Dole as well as lefties like Tip O'Neil and Bill Clinton. What I didn't expect is how irate he'd be with Bush Jr. and the neocons.From free trade, immigration, health care, our dependency on foreign oil, and the lies about Iraq, this son of an immigrant who created the Ford Mustang, saved Crysler and preserved the Statue of Liberty doesn't hold anything back.


He lays out how unreasonable and short sighted our current paths and policies have been, and goes the extra mile to offer sound alternatives.And lest you think that it's nothing but a Bush bash- this book is actually about leadership. Iococa lays out a number of principles to look for in a leader and why they are important. He even evaluates some of the top candidates from both parties on how well they measure up on each of his principles of leadership. He refused to endorse any because he believes that Americans all need to step up and know who'd make the best leaders and why before we choose our own. (but if I were a betting man, I think he likes New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson)


I can't believe that this easy to read and incredibly engaging book isn't on top of the bestseller lists. I wish Oprah would make it her book club book. I wish all the Liberal radio talk show hosts would give it free advertising because I really believe that every American needs to read this powerful and important book.

No comments: