Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"the Jewel of Nicaragua".


JOYA DE NICARAGUA, "the Jewel of Nicaragua" is one of the oldest and favorite brands of premium cigar smokers all over the world. Cigar experts have catalogued this brand as a CLASSIC within the selected group of premium cigars.
From a review by www.stogieguys.com: Back in 2002, Joya de Nicaragua introduced Antaño 1970, a strong line of rich cigars honoring Joya’s storied history in the U.S. While the brand’s pinnacle was arguably back in the days of bellbottoms and disco balls – when sales exceeded nine million units per year and the American government named Joya the official cigar of the White House! (Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan???)
Antaño 1970 has earthy flavors with heavy floral and leather notes. The most distinct feature of the stogie – other than its big and powerful taste – is that the wrapper leaves a discrete banana peel flavor on the lips.
Despite the cigar’s full-bodied character, I found it to be quite smooth at the beginning of the smoke. Don’t get me wrong: The stogie had a pretty decent kick, but the flavors were blended so well they were more harmonious than invasive. In the second phase, on the other hand, the cigar became very spicy with black licorice notes. This sudden change kept me on my toes until the cigar mellowed out towards the end of the hour-long smoke.

Ted's take: I first tried a Joya back in college. I don't smoke regularly and certainly don't recommend, condone or wish to promote or endorse it. Filthy, unhealthy habit, as is chewing tobacco- they'll kill ya. But I succumb to temptation this week. I was in Omaha's old market checking out a used book store and art gallery, the Antequarium- that's closing (80% sale) and I happened past a cigar store. I caved in and got one.
I didn't get to enjoy a leisurely hour long smoke like the reviewer above because you can't smoke in public buildings anymore and it just wasn't the same as sitting back with the guys. Be that as it may. They do still taste fantastic. I understand that Cigar Aficionado rated Joya de Nicaragua very high and I don't blame them.
Just like the Stogie Guy's reviewer wrote, starts out smooth and a lot like wine, winds up spicy and strong. Back in my college days I liked to have one with a Dos Equis (XX) Lager. For Pete's sake, don't ruin it with something like a Bud Lite, at least have a Sam Adams or a Heineken.
So now I may never have one again, or maybe several years from now, but it was nice to reminisce. Again, I certainly don't recommend smoking to anyone, but if you're gonna- don't be cheap and buy a stupid Swisher Sweet cigar from some gas station, don't be gross and pile a wad of dirt in your cheek, and don't be stupid and addict yourself by sucking on a typical cigarette. Spend the time and the money on the best. It's not just a smoke, it's an experience.
Forgive me, Lord for my sin, but thank you for this rare indulgence. MMMMmm yum.







No comments: